The purpose of the Project Health-check is to measure both compliance and effectiveness of a specific project. It is a general audit to assess the project’s ability to meet its objectives and compares the project management activities against the organisation’s project management method.
The Project Health-check will be carried out by a Project and Programme Management (PPM) Registered Consultant.
The service takes 2 weeks to complete and comprises a mixture of documentation review, structured interviews and focus group(s).
The Project Health-check will:
- Check compliance with corporate policies for managing projects
- Compare the project against good-practice project management
- Assess performance to-date against original baseline
Conducting Project Health-checks will help organisations ensure:
- The corporate methodology is being used correctly
- Good project practice is captured and shared
- The effectiveness of a project can be measured
- Exposure to risk is being actively managed
- There is a process for feedback from the project team
- Corrective Actions can be captured and implemented
Why Use Health-checks?
Quality metrics show that the cost of correcting an issue is many times the cost of preventing it.
Scheduling a series of Health-checks spread over the life of a project/ programme can provide early indications of any problems looming. Additionally, the scheduling of such Health-checks encourages the team to maintain good practices from start to finish and not just for the end project review (how many of us put in a few extra gym sessions before a regular health-check?).
At an enterprise level, conducting Health-checks on a sample of your projects/ programmes enables common issues and non-compliances to be captured and resolved in a cost-effective way.
Health-checks undertaken by independent assessors are free from internal politics, and provide a balanced view. Using independent assessors means the health-checks are more likely to take because the assessors are not encumbered by the day-to-day issues and interruptions of most projects.
Health-checks from CUPE
Our Health-checks start from as little as £2,445 each and are conducted in a non-intrusive coaching format. We offer a choice of Health-checks:
- Risk Review: A sanity check that the risk management strategy is adequate and appropriate
- Project Health-check: Will it finish on time? Processes followed? Business Case still valid? Deliverables meet requirements?
- PRINCE2® Health-check: How well does your project use PRINCE2? We will give you a % score; a Red/Amber/Green dashboard against the PRINCE2 components, processes ands techniques; recommendations on how PRINCE2 can be better applied.
Programme Health-check: Are the changes having the desired affect? Will the projects deliver the benefits? Is the programme still aligned to corporate strategy?