|Call Us: +44 (0) 1202 555711/733
Lets define PMO, PMO stands for Project Management Office, sometimes Programme Management Office. A PMO is a group or department in a business, agency or enterprise that defines and maintains standards for project management within the organization.
The purpose of a PMO is to achieve benefits from standardizing and following project management policies, processes and methods. A PMO generally will become a source for guidance, documentation and metrics related to the practice involved in management and the implementation of projects within your organization. For more information please see Setting up a PMO.
A PMO may get involved in project-related tasks and follow follow up on project activites to ensure completion. Generally speaking a PMO bases its project management principles, practices and processes on some kind of industry standard methodology, for example PRINCE2® or a bespoke method. Take a look at our PMF Lite methodology work with RentoKil.
Lets look and define the 3 organisational styles for a PMO
The 3 styles below are designed for maximum effectiverness towards targeted goals aligned with Corporate Strategy.
- The project repository: This model can be found in organisations that empower business-centric project ownership but with a weaker centeral governance. The PMO works as a source of information on PPM methodologies and standards. Project managers report to the PMO and are funded by their respective business areas.
- The project coaching model: This model agrees a willingness to use PPM best practices across business functions and uses the project office to coordinate the communication. Best practices will be documented and shared, with project performance activley monitored. The PMO in this model is a permanent structure with staff and has some supervisory responsibility for all the projects.
- The enterprise project management office: This model involes the project office in all projects, (governance process), this is irrespective of regardless of size, allowing it to assess scope, allocate resources and verify time, budget, risk and impact assumptions before the project is initiated. Funding is generally a combination of direct, budgeted allocation for baseline services and a fee-for-service charge for others.
Find out more on Setting up a PMO or download our PMO Templates
So, Why do we need a defined PMO
In any organisation it is important to have good communication, structure and clarity.
Contact us for help with Setting up your PMO
Companies we have worked with
Privacy by SafeSubscribe SM
- Company Information: Registered Address: 25 St Thomas Street, Winchester, Hampshire, England, SO23 9DD; Company Number: 2406272; VAT Number: GB 777 098084
- PRINCE2®, PRINCE2 Agile® , ITIL®, M_o_R®, MoP®, P3O®, MSP®, MoV®, P3M3® and RESILIA® are all registered trade marks of AXELOS limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved. The Swirl logo™ is a trademark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited.All rights reserved.
- The PRINCE2®, ITIL®, M_o_R®, MoP®, P3O®, MSP®, MoV®, P3M3® and RESILIA® Accredited Training Organisation logos are all trademarks of AXELOS limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
- The APMG International AgilePgM and Swirl Device logo, APMG International AgilePM and Swirl Device logo, APMG International Better Business Cases and Swirl Device logo, APMG International Change Management and Swirl Device logo, APMG International Earned Value and Swirl Device logo, APMG International Facilitation and Swirl device logo and APMG International Managing Benefits and Swirl device logo are all trademarks of the APM Group limited, used under permission of the APM Group Limited. All rights reserved.
- AgilePgM® and AgilePM® are registered trademarks of Dynamic Systems Development Method Ltd. All rights reserved. Better Business Cases™ is a trademark of Her Majesty’s Treasury. All rights reserved. APMG International Change Management, APMG International Earned Value, APMG International Facilitation and APMG International Managing Benefits are all trademarks of the APM Group Limited. All rights reserved.
- The Praxis Framework™ is a trademark of Praxis Framework Ltd. All rights reserved.
- IACCM™ is a trademark of IACCM.
Powered by Intergage
Copyright © CUPE Limited 2018 |
| | | |